Phestos Palace

Phaestus (Phestos or Festos) was a Minoan city on Crete, is famous for its Minoan palace, which is a visitable archaeological site and receives thousands of visitors every year. The palace of Phaestus was built on a low hill in the plain of Messara, with panoramic views to the surrounding area. It is the second largest after Knossos and occupies an area of ​​18 acres.

The palace was destroyed in about 1700BC by an earthquake, but was restored immediately. Then Phaestus declined and the neighboring settlement of Agia Triada flourished, the archaeological site of which you can visit today. Phaestus remained the most important religious center of southern Crete. After the destruction of 1450BC (possibly due to an earthquake), Phaestus recovered and created its own currency. This new bloom lasted till the first century BC, when it was destroyed by the neighboring Gortys, which then became the new capital of Crete.

The buildings a visitor sees today are in Phaestus date back in 1700-4150BC and, unlike Knossos, have not been restored. The excavations started in 1900 by the Italian Archaeological School under the guidance of Federico Halbherr and Luigi Pernier, while in 1950-71 they were carried out by Doro Levi.